Sausage Breakfast Sandwich
- Use your favorite pancake recipe or try this one: Danielle Walker’s Gluten-free Pancakes
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 4 4-inch round silicone molds
- Maple syrup for brushing
1. In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients for the sausage. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Divide the mixture into four patties. Cook the patties in a large skillet over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes, flipping once, or until internal temperature reaches 160˚F. Set aside.
2. Prepare your pancake mix according to directions. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Place the greased molds into the pan. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of pancake batter into each mold. Once bubbles are visible on the surface of the pancake, about 4 minutes, remove the mold and flip the pancake. Cook for another 3 minutes and remove to a plate. Brush maple syrup on both sides of the pancake. Repeat the process for the remaining batter (there may be extra).
3. In the same skillet lightly spray with avocado oil and place the molds in the pan. In a small bowl crack one egg*. Add the egg to a mold and repeat with the other three eggs. Cook until the whites set, or about 4 minutes, and remove the mold and flip the egg. Cook for another 1 minute and place on a plate.
4. To assemble: place one pancake onto four plates each. Add the sausage patty, then the egg, and top with another pancake. Drizzle with more maple syrup, if desired.
TIP: You can scramble your egg before placing into the mold to cook more evenly. You can store your sandwiches in the refrigerator for up to 3 days